Enjoy fruit salad anytime of the year; even winter. This winter fruit salad tastes just like the holidays. What makes this fruit salad a “winter” one is that it has ingredients that are easily available in winter (or even fall), and the cinnamon and ginger flavor kick the fruit and flavor up a notch. The cinnamon and ginger perfectly match the usual holiday flavors. Cinnamon and ginger are both wonderful for reducing inflammation and circulating blood flow which can increase energy. Eat this salad in the morning for some extra pep in your step!
Apples and pears are a great source of fiber. Both apples and pears even contain a bit of vitamin C. Pomegranates are a wonderful source of antioxidants, they even have antiviral properties (great for warding off the usual winter flu). The orange juice in this recipe of course contains vitamin C but the added honey gives this fruit salad a boost of more natural minerals. Honey and orange also help with oxidation, meaning that your apples and pears won’t be turning brown too quick.
This fruit salad is great for winter mornings or as a side dish at a holiday party. Be that awesome healthy person who brings the fruit and indulges in the healthy side dish instead of more cookies or cakes (I can almost guarantee guests will be surprisingly pleased with this option). Now that the New Year is coming, a whole lot more people are going to be making resolutions to eat healthy, so help yourself, or someone else, start with this fresh recipe.
Winter Fruit Salad Recipe
- 3 gold apples diced into bite size pieces
- 3 green pears diced into bite size pieces
- 2 large oranges (one juiced for the "sauce" and the other can be diced into bite size pieces to add more color and fun to the salad)
- 1 pomegranate peeled and separated
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger (optional)
- Dice pears and apples into bite size pieces
- Separate the pomegranate under water and set pulpy seeds aside
- Juice one large orange (ends up apx 1/2 - 3/4cup juice)
- Measure out the spices
- Add 1 TBSP honey to the orange juice, mix well
- Toss the juice and honey over the apples and pears, mix well
- Sift the cinnamon and ginger over the apples and pears, mix well
- Next add the pomegranate, mix well
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to one hour