Every winter season I go Crockpot crazy… warm delicious quick easy food is what I want, especially some chicken and rice soup! As I scoured the Internet for slow cooker recipes I couldn’t help but notice a lot of it was creamy fatty cheesy junk food dishes. Eventually I stumbled upon a chicken and rice soup recipe that I actually tried and turned out to be a disaster. It was a disaster because the idiot blogger decided to put the rice in with all the other ingredients to let it cook on low for 8 hours. Well guess what that equals? RICE EXPANDS, so I ended up with MUSH. Mush I tell you, and that texture was awful and unforgettable. This was months ago so when I had a recent craving for chicken and rice soup, but didn’t want traditional chicken and rice soup, an idea popped in my head to make slow cooker Asian Chicken and Rice Soup.
What makes it an Asian soup recipe? Well my little broth concoction has chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and Sambal chili sauce. This recipe is very quick and simple. It can also be made in a regular big ol’ stock pot on the stove in 3o minutes. I find it very easy to just take 15 minutes in the morning to wash, cut, and prep my food and throw it all in a Crockpot and be on my way. Then when I get home in the evening I just ended up making rice in 15 minutes and the poured the chicken and rice soup right on top of the fresh made rice. Mmm Mmm delish. A refreshing twist on chicken and rice soup.
For Pinterest Sake
Asian Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 of large red onion chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Spy sauce
- 2-3 cups of chopped vegetables (we used bell peppers, carrots, mustard greens, radishes, and spinach)
- 14 thin slices ginger
- 6 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 TBS Sambal Chili sauce
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- Place two boneless breasts in crockpot
- Wash, cut/chop all veggies and the onion
- Add prepared vegetables to crockpot
- Add 1 TBS cornstarch to room temperature to one cup chicken broth stir till dissolved
- Add remaining chicken broth into big bowl and whisk in 1 TBS Sambal Chili sauce.
- Add the broth in over the chicken and veggies along with 14 thin slices ginger and the 6 smashed garlic cloves
- Turn crockpot onto desired setting between 4-10 hours
- COOK RICE SEPARATE and then pour soup over the rice
My husband says this recipe is similar to a hot and sour soup, which is cool by me, but to make it more of a hot and sour soup add in some lime juice. Maybe 1-2 small limes juiced.
Hope you enjoy the video and the recipe. As always a share on social media is always appreciated.