Fruit Salad on a Cleanse… YES!
Although I teach and preach nutrition, I still go on cleanses. Currently, my cleanse involves no dairy no sugar, no alcohol, no processed food, no vinegar, no gluten, no soy, etc… eating only organic food, fresh veggies, almonds (no peanuts), and only berries and apples for fruit. Coconut sugar is okay on this cleanse, it actually has a lower glycemic index than regular white, or even raw, sugar.
I love berries so much that I decided to make an easy mixed berry fruit salad. I’ve made this plenty of times but finally decided to make a video and post it. There’s something about the zingy lemon zest that really adds something to make this dish pop. The zest enhances the berry flavor and adds in a tart component to all the sweetness. The nuts add a nice crunch making this dish well-balanced and nutritious. I’ve also done a version of minced mint and lemon zest without the nuts… and that is wonderful too.
The best thing about 30 plus days on this cleanse is that I no longer crave sugar. As much as I love healthy eating and living I still found myself wanting a little piece of chocolate at the end of the day or wanting to bake some treats every other week. Now I feel stronger to fight the urges! It’s always great to have a re-set. The coconut sugar in this recipe is optional, but a little bit helps with the tartness of the lemon zest and blackberries (if they are tart and not sweet). I’m coming up on six weeks of this cleanse and highly recommend the Arbonne Cleanse to anyone. I’ll be posting more about that soon… but for now, let’s get to the recipe.
Mixed Berry Fruit Salad
- 1/2 Container Chopped Organic Strawberries
- 1 Pint Organic Blackberries
- 1 Pint Organic Raspberries
- 1 Organic Lemon grated entirely
- 2 Tablespoons Crushed Almonds *or pecans
- 1/2 TBS Organic Coconut Sugar
- Fresh Organic Mint Sprigs
- Wash all berries first with Fruit and Vegetable Wash Spray
- Chop the strawberries
- Crush 2 TBS worth of almonds
- Add all the berries into a bowl
- Add half the almonds and mix carefully (don’t squish the berries)
- Grate lemon on a Microplane (if you don’t own one, you need to! They’re amazing) over the berries
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar over the berries, mix carefully
- Add the rest of the almonds to top it off
- Garnish with mint
Skip the nuts, use minced mint, lemon zest, and (optional) coconut sugar.