- High in vitamins and minerals.
- Improve the nutritional value of homemade goods by adding amaranth in amounts up to 25% of total flour, used in gluten-free recipes. Amaranth is also a great thickening agent.
- Great source of fiber.
- Contains more iron, manganese, & magnesium than other gluten-free grains.
- Great source of lysine. Lysine is an essential amino acid that occurs in proteins that the body can’t produce. So we should consume it because it plays an important role in the production of carnetine and the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin.
The taste is similar to puffed wheat, like the cereal with Sugar Bear… Golden Crisp! But this is not wheat! And the grain is much smaller than Golden Crisp. Dang that cereal is old, I don’t even know if it’s still around?! Alright back to the taste… it’s a little bland but with the coconut flakes, sweetener, and almond milk it make the perfect cereal. The texture is a little grainy. I don’t mind the texture at all but some people can’t do certain textures and that’s okay!
Try popped amaranth. I enjoy it as a cereal.
- 10-12 tsp Amaranth
- 2 tsp coconut flakes (or more, adjust to your liking)
- 1-2 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 of a sliced & diced banana
- Almond Milk (use desired amount)
Amaranth is temperamental. So you have to cook it one teaspoon at a time.
- Get a non-stick (no teflon!) pot with a clear lid (so you can see the amaranth popping)
- Heat the pan with lid on it on med almost med-high (if you have numbers go between 5-6)
- Heat for 5 minutes
- Remove the lid to let a little bit of heat out but not too much
- Place 1 tsp in and let it start to pop
- Once it starts popping, start shaking the pot over the burner as if you were making Jiffy Pop
- DON’T let it burn, once popping slows down remove from heat and pour popped amaranth into a bowl set aside
- Repeat steps 5-7 again, popping 1 tsp at a time
- Once finished popping all the small batches add coconut flakes
- Next add desired amount of banana, syrup, and almond milk.
- Shut off the stove and Enjoy!
Servings: 10-12 tsp = 1 cup cooked = 1 serving